Meet Matthew Kienstra, MD
Born in St. Louis, Missouri, and named one of the best doctors in America, Dr. Kienstra is a board-certified facial plastic surgeon. Specializating exclusively in the face, Dr. Kienstra gives patients peace of mind, while his friendly, easygoing style promotes a comfortable physician-patient partnership. He encourages patients to ask questions, empowering them to make decisions with confidence.
For over eight years, Dr. Kienstra practiced alongside now retired facial plastic surgeon Dr. Keith LaFerriere, whose patients have since made the easy transition into his care. Dr. Kienstra currently serves as the Director of Facial Trauma at Mercy Hospital. His private surgical suite is accredited by the AAAHC.
Dr. Kienstra earned a Bachelor of Science from the University of Notre Dame and graduate degree in biochemistry from University of Illinois. He received his medical degree from the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine.
His extensive facial plastic surgery background includes a prestigious internship and residency at Mayo Clinic and a facial plastic surgery fellowship at the University of Michigan.
Professional Involvement in the Field of Facial Plastic Surgery:
- He serves as the current Director of Facial Trauma Services at Mercy Hospital.
- He is a diplomate of both the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and the American Board of Otolaryngology.
- He has served American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery on the Young Physicians, FACE to FACE, Awards, Membership/Residency Relations, and Written Examination committees.
- He served on the American Academy of Otolaryngology’s Patient Safety and Quality Improvement committee for six years, before transitioning into a consultant capacity.
- He represented that committee on the AMA’s Physician Consortium for Performance Improvement for five years and was its delegate to the American College of Surgeons.
- He is an Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of Missouri’s Department of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery, and has been named one of (Woodward and White’s the Best Doctors in America for over ten consecutive years).
Outside of the office, Dr. Kienstra is a devoted family man. He and his wife have two beautiful children who they enjoy immensely. “They’re my best work yet,” says Dr. Kienstra.
In his spare time, he enjoys music, ethical theory, and applied ethics, 19th century Russian literature, fly-fishing, running, ice hockey, football, and research.